I love everything about reading. I love reading, I love teaching reading and I love reading about teaching reading. 🙂 Here are my top 10 books that I believe that every literacy leader should read. I have read most, and I have a couple that are on my summer reading list. 🙂
- Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5 By Debbie Miller
This book changed my outlook on teaching. It is amazing!! It helps you define your beliefs while aligning your teaching practices to what matters in your instruction.
- The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child By Donalyn Miller
This book is a must read for all teachers, especially upper elementary and beyond. It motivates you to motivate your students to read.
- All the Jan Richardson Guided Reading books!! I have read The Next Step Forward in Guided Reading: An Assess-Decide-Guide Framework for Supporting Every Reader and The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader
These books are great for supporting teachers in guided reading instruction, differentiation, and organization of groups.
- The Daily 5: Fostering Literacy in the Elementary Grades by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser
Hands down a must read for all teachers, literacy specialists, and literacy leaders. This book and all the “café” books are great resources to help setup, implement, and run the daily five in the classroom.
- The Growth Mindset Coach: A Teacher’s Month-by-Month Handbook for Empowering Students to Achieve by Annie Brock and Heather Hundley. This book was written with the intention to empower students by teaching them to have a growth mindset and move away from a fixed mindset. As I read it, I thought about how these strategies could be adapted for a literacy leader to help teachers develop a growth mindset. Great read!!
- Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis
This was a book that I read for my last semester class and I am still using it in my own teaching and have been sharing it with my colleagues. It is a great resource!
- Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write by Patricia Cunningham and Richard Allington
This was another powerful book from my last semester class. I love the strategies and the real life examples.
- Uncovering the Logic of English: A Common-Sense Approach to Reading, Spelling, and Literacy Paperback, by Denise Eide
This book is eye-opening for teachers and literacy specialists!! It is a great resource for understanding the English language and how to teach it.
- The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers, by Jennifer Serravallo
I love Jennifer Serravallo as an author, her writing is easy to read and she has great ideas and knowledge on literacy strategies. This book is on my wish list for this summer.
- The Art of Coaching: Effective Strategies for School Transformation, by Elena Aguilar
This is one of the books on my summer wish list. I am hoping to grow as a literacy coach.